Misuse of alcohol and drugs policy
In accordance with the Company General Policy for Health, Safety and Welfare, and the stated objective to achieve a working environment free from work related accidents and occupational ill-health incidents, the following policy and guidance regarding the misuse of alcohol and drugs is in force:-
- Consumption of alcohol during working hours on Company sites, premises, workplaces or vehicles is strictly prohibited, whether under the control of the Company or otherwise, and is a disciplinary offence which may lead to immediate suspension from the workplace and summary dismissal for Gross Misconduct.
- Similarly, the consumption of drugs which are not available ‘over the counter' or have not been issued ‘under prescription' is strictly prohibited as above and is a disciplinary offence which may lead to immediate suspension from the workplace and summary dismissal for Gross Misconduct.
- All employees and contractors should be aware that compliance with contract conditions and local site rules may impose stricter restrictions that those above, and if in doubt should seek the advice of their supervisor or line manager.
- The Company reserves the right to carry out drug and alcohol testing on an employee or contractor who by nature of their performance or behaviour gives cause to believe that they are acting under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The Company reserves the right to suspend any employee which it considers to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs whilst on site or at work.
- The Company reserves the right to terminate the contract of any contractor's employee which it considers to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs whilst working on any site or works under the control or on behalf of the Company.
- All employees and contractors are required to inform their supervisor or line manager if they are taking medication which may impair their performance or affect their capacity or capability to undertake their normal duties, so that the risk to their own and others health, safety and welfare may be assessed by the Company.
- Compliance with Company Policy is mandatory for all employees and contractors working on behalf of the Company.
Employees who have any concerns regarding the implementation of the above policy, require additional guidance, or who need clarification as to the possible effects of any prescribed medication which they are taking may discuss the matter ‘in confidence' with the Line Manager or the SHEQ Manager.
Jon Knowles - Managing Director
11th Jan 2023
Next Review Date (on or by): 11 Jan 2024 or within Legislation changes